Tuesday, June 8, 2010

Think we can't win? You've got another thing coming

No, that's not for the Hawks, although I will be up with Chicagoan Noah and the other roomies tomorrow for the 3 am face-off here, as the Blackhawks and Michigan alum John Madden try to bring Chicago its first Cup in almost 50 years...

Last week's flotilla was merely the latest in a relentless string of can't-win situations for Israel. And we lost quite a bit in the face of a clueless world, giant swaths of which has been brainwashed by their leaders to be violently anti-Semitic.

Our enemies may believe (and are saying) that Israel can't win. They're dead wrong. We will defeat them. Don't mess with me--I've been working out :) That's me on a bike that powers the laundry machine at uber-green Kibbutz Lotan down south in the Arava.

Last week was one of those weeks. When I came to Israel on OTZMA, I experienced the bitter divisiveness that displayed itself with Prime Minister Sharon's plan to disengage from Gaza (which went through three months after I left). One afternoon, I saw a sign at a rally at Jerusalem's Paris Square against the disengagement reading, "If the IDF leaves Gaza, the rockets falling on Sderot will arrive in Ashdod and Beer Sheva." Despite my support at the time for Sharon's plan, that sign of course made me stop and ask myself whether the protestors could be proven correct. And, sure enough, Ashdod and Beer Sheva were attacked a few short years later. Long before I had decided to make aliyah, it became very clear to me that afternoon that living here means moments like that which provide you with a gray hair or three. So let's just say it feels that I got a whole bunch last week. You can't say I didn't know what I was getting myself into, but I decided to take my new country for everything that comes with her. I still believe very strongly that I made the correct decision for a more meaningful life.

So last Shabbat provided me with the great opportunity it always does to take 25 hours worth of a deep breath. It was especially sorely needed last Friday to tone down after an emotional week. Saturday and Sunday nights' continuation of the free concert party with Holland's OhnO! Jazzband and Israel's Tabachnik jazz combo also helped immensely. During the Tabachnik show, I got an opportunity to say hi to jazz giant Joe Lovano, who had just headlined the festival's jazz series. He couldn't have been kinder, and was on a high from a great show (guess I'll have to catch the next one).

I'll provide one more barrage of what I feel are important reads. I'd love to hear what you're reading as well. We'll see how long I can hold out, but exams are approaching rather quickly--so don't hold your breath for the next post.

As for concerts, here's a Jerusalem Post Editorial about how best to respond to the latest additions to the concert cancellation list.

Here's Horovitz's Friday column about the flotilla. Krauthammer wonders aloud how the world would like Israel to defend herself here. Yaakov Katz gets into the IDF intelligence failures here. Gil Hoffman details the latest version of Israel v. the world here. Meet the martyrdom seekers onboard here. This Jerusalem Post editorial points out the enormity of the Israeli Supreme Court's legal support of the IDF. Another begs the US to respond fair-mindedly. Details about the anti-Israel hackers, mostly from Turkey, here. Jonathan Spyer decries the world's misplaced condemnation here. Barry Rubin wants the world to think a little deeper before crying for Hamas. David Harris calls out the Free Gaza Movement for what it truly is, namely the official Hamas Fan Club. Tough questions about the affair from an Israeli business paper here. It's at times like these that Caroline Glick's farther-right-from-center-than-my-liking analysis makes sense to me (here she defends Israel's strategic value to the US). This advisor to President Shimon Peres lets buffoon Helen Thomas hear it here. Here, The Israel Project founder and president calls for a wholly new brand of Israel advocacy.

As for the Turkish side of this snafu, Robert Pollock looks into the decline of Turkey here. Here's a wake-up call about the Kurdish victims of Turkey. Harvard Law alum Joel Pollak calls for a legal offensive against Turkey here. This Washington Post editorial surprised me by laying responsibility on Turkey's Erdogan. Here's a long one from Turkey expert Rubin.

If you prefer watching videos to reading (that's cool, go ahead and own that), this depiction is very well done. And I couldn't post without including this satirical video, We Con the World, which my friend Shlomo put together (he and Glick also got singing gigs). Not gonna lie--I personally would've made it a couple minutes shorter, but it's pretty freakin brilliant. Watch out--my roommates and I can't stop singing this catchy ditty to ourselves.

And here's The Israel Project's latest list of Pro-Israel Rallies/Events, as well as AIPAC's Take Action Page. I'd humbly suggest you both Back Israel's Right to Self-Defense, and equally importantly Back Crippling Sanctions on Iran. Thanks so much for getting Israel's back!

With all that, I must wish y'all adieu. Much love from Beer Sheva, gray hairs be damned!
אריק/Eric

No comments:

Post a Comment