Monday, September 19, 2011

Reflecting in a sea of paper

In the midst of an intense de-cluttering dash, I ran across my Nefesh B'Nefesh application from back in 2008 before my aliyah.

"I aspire to attain fluency in Hebrew, earn a Master's, then work in Senior Housing Management."
4 main reasons for your interest in making Aliyah:
1. I want to pursue a career serving the older adults who came to Israel with nothing and built the country.
2. I want to set family roots in Israel and raise children who yearn to serve the country in the I.D.F.
3. I will build a special connection to Israeli family and friends, especially once attaining Hebrew fluency.
4. I am truest as a Jew in Israel: surrounded by Jewish learning, scheduled on Jewish time.

Taking one step farther back, I found the notes I took during a coffee date with my dear Rabbi Lopatin in Chicago, right as I was deciding to give aliyah a shot:
I'll be able to say 5 years later, "I followed my values, my conscience, and I acted on it." The only way I'll be happy is to do what's meaningful and follow the dream. Women there will share my values.
Workplaces want me to be a success, so that other people will want to come.
I can invest in Israel by attending an Israeli graduate school, also a wise investment in my development. I will get everyone rooting for me in school.
I'm "Living Lite" here. There are Life or Death issues there. Children talk about those issues there in serious discussions.
I can display my Judaism proudly there.

Talk about some inspirational de-cluttering, and a better use of these words here than in a pile of papers! Going back to my roots and remembering my motivation to...get these last two papers done for spring term! Take care folks,
אריק/Eric

No comments:

Post a Comment