Friday, March 19, 2021

A love song to two of the most important people in my life

Hi Dad,
Today's your 10th Hebrew yahrtzeit/אזכרה (anniversary of your passing). I can't believe you've been gone for a decade.
When you passed away, your fellow University of North Texas alum Marc Johnson's album "The Sound of Summer Running" was in Mom's car. Tradition is against this (תסלח לי ה'), but his song Union Pacific came on as Mom and I pulled into your funeral. I eulogized you with this what I'm pretty sure you would have called "tasty" tune bouncing around in my step, fitting in my mind for the most optimistic person I ever met. I think it sounds a lot like your soul/נשמה (neshama).
I put some words to it for this occasion. You always took care of composing songs and providing us with our soundtrack, but sometimes you left the words to me (I wonder who named your songs Masa and Shalva). Sorry I didn't rhyme though - think you'll dig it anyway.
I remember like it was yesterday relating my dating frustrations to you as we crossed the Trinity River in the Turkey Trot. I kept looking for my perfect wife thanks to your love and faith and belief in me, which you expressed to me that day, and always.
On the way to work yesterday I pictured you playing the piano at our wedding, instead of an anonymous, if quite talented pianist. And I cried. What I would do for an evening around the piano with Racheli and the kids, Mom, Amy and her family. I can only imagine how much you would be raving about all of us.

You used to pop into my dreams every so often. Haven't seen you there in ages.
I miss you with all my heart. On your first 2 yahrtzeits I put together memorial events with friends; both years I played breakup songs that (although that's awkward) really reflected my pain. Posting those YouTubes below. "Less, but it still hurts..." :I'll never get over you..."

Love you Dad!

-----------------------------

Wrapped up

Running the Turkey Trot

8 miles around Downtown Big D

We’re running the Trot

My hopes were runnin’ low on that cold Thanksgiving Day

Never forget it

“Don’t worry I know you’ll find her”

Wrapped up in all your love, all your faith, your belief I got something to give to that lucky lady somewhere

Looking far and wide Even crossed the ocean lookin for that heart Then I met my love She had me cracking up 1 minute into the very first date Check out that smile

Can’t believe you never met her

Wrapped up in all your love, all your faith, your belief I got something to give to that lucky lady right here

Halleluyah I just love her so much Even forgave me when I drove to the WRONG ER With all that love you gave me,  I just have to pass it all right on To these kiddos who we made She’s the best wife and mom

תמונה שמכילה דשא, אדם, חוץ, שדה

התיאור נוצר באופן אוטומטי

We’re so blessed and she gets more beautiful every single darn day

How does she do that?

Oh my G-d you would have loved her Wrapped up in all your love, all your faith, your belief I got something to give to my רחלוש she’s right here



No comments:

Post a Comment