Tuesday, November 20, 2012

Interview on WGN

Watch/listen live to my interview on WGN offering the Beer Sheva perspective. Huge thanks go to former Chicago roommate Andy Zuick for getting me onto the news of one of my all-time favorite channels. As of now, I'll be on as part of a piece around 11:00, noon CT/19:00, 20:00 Israel.
If you can't catch that, here's an archived link. I speak at 1:10 on that. My ten minute interview turned into one sentence...

After Saturday's news of the 73-year-old Beer Sheva man who fell and died while running to shelter (which has not been reported in the media as it should as a murderous attack), I woke up Sunday to learn that a Holocaust survivor with whom I worked closely passed away on Thursday. This is a woman who survived the Holocaust in Romania, moved to Kiryat Shmona in Israel's North, suffered years of relentless rocket fire on her home there, then moved to Sderot, where she hoped she would experience some peace and quiet. Well, Sderot subsequently turned into Hamas' punching bag, the blunt of the majority of the thousands of rockets launched out of Gaza for the last 12 years.
I got the news too late in order to attend her funeral and have not learned her cause of death, but I do know that her last day on Earth was incredibly unpleasant, as rocket attacks on Sderot and the South intensified beginning last Wednesday night.

I'm working from Jerusalem and enjoying the opportunity to catch my friends here during the week. That meant watching the Cowboys' ugly win Sunday night with fellow Dallas fan Debbie and NFL fan and former roommate Noah. Then last night I caught another friend's birthday party. A facetime chat with Amy, Aron and the nephews will always make my week, but especially so this time! 
But I of course look forward to returning home to Beer Sheva and catching up on a great deal of work. It breaks my heart that so many of my training sessions and events will have to be delayed because of the rocket fire on my region.

Suggested reading/viewing:
Beer Sheva under attack
A portrait of my deserted alma mater, Ben-Gurion University. Now can I express gratitude for having completed my degree in between two wars.
Melanie Phillips' take on the news.
Daniel Gordis encouraging the Jewish community to support Israel, rather than focusing on balance and a universalistic approach. 
An in depth look at the development of the Iron Dome defense system, and the developer's prediction of future improvements of the system.
Khaled Abu Toameh once again shows how impossible it is to be a moderate Palestinian.
My friend Sara on the difficulties of supporting Israel in the academic world.
Amir Mizroch with some military insight on the situation.

And last but not least, in Michigan news, Denard Robinson just thanked me for coming out. Beer Sheva to Arlington for the Alabama game, of all games, was a pretty rough one to watch. But Denard just made it all ok.

No comments:

Post a Comment