Monday, October 9, 2023

Dark days

Israel's national worst nightmare has come to pass. There are no words to describe it.

The support of friends and family has brought me to the verge of tears. We feel your love and really need it right now.

I don't have a ton to say other than thank you!
And thanks also to my Texas Rangers, whose futility as a franchise has been a big part of my life for most of the life of the franchise. They and my family are about the only thing keeping me sane, with two HUGE wins in Baltimore, the first interspersed with the worst day of my dear country's history.

I've been using my sports teams as a distraction from geopolitical tension for decades, and it's given me some amazing excitement to share with the kids (we watch the highlights together the next day - lots of Rangers highlights these days, as well as Michigan football this season). 

Watching the highlights (the games I just listen to on the radio feed, especially enjoying the local legend Eric Nadel, calling Rangers games since I was born) takes me to this surreal parallel universe, where life is normal right now. 

And then I go back to following what's happening (all you really need to read is David Horovitz's columns on Times of Israel - he is an amazing man (was lucky to meet him twice) and journalist. If you're able to support the website financially, they deserve it in a big way). So far I've heard of the nephew of someone who goes to my synagogue being killed in battle. And a friend's colleague's family of 5, all murdered. And a former colleague's husband recovering in the hospital after being wounded and undergoing surgery.

And I dread when I'll (probably) hear of someone I know first-hand...

Anyway, my son is calling me to go watch the Game 2 highlights! It's been a busy day - I still haven't seen Mitch Garver's grand slam!!!

Lots of love and here's to the win that actually matters: a swift victory by my brothers and sisters in the Israel Defense Forces over Hamas and their evil brethren. Amen

P.S. My son's favorite part was Adolis's chest bump and fist kiss (cued up here) after his RBI hit in the 2nd

P.S.S. Feel free to subscribe to this for updates

No comments:

Post a Comment