Tuesday, March 27, 2012

From Chicago to Beer Sheva

You can watch my interview on Nekuda IL right here (not the best quality ever, but it'll do).
For those like my dear Mom who only understood "Chicago, Beer Sheva and Dallas, TX," here are some brief subtitles for you:

-Sitting with us is Eric Samuels, who made aliyah from Chicago and is pursuing his Master's in Beer Sheva. How's your Hebrew?
-Thank G-d. I got my exemption in Hebrew from the university, after trying for two years.
I grew up in Dallas, TX and worked in Chicago for five years. I learned Hebrew from scratch seven years ago when I volunteered here on a program.
-So tell us a bit about the Jewish community in Chicago.
-It's a fun place for a young Jewish adult to live. Any kind of community you're looking for is there--I myself joined a Modern Orthodox synagogue with an amazing Rabbi. The community offers whatever you're looking for--Hillel on college campuses, etc.
-So if it's so great, why did you leave?
-During my year on the volunteer program, I was exposed to Israeli culture, food, music, a different pace and different way of life. I was especially impacted working with older adults in the community, in a moshav and in Jerusalem.
-Already back then you were in Beer Sheva?
-I was in the south for six months, in Ashkelon and Kiryat Gat, so I connected to the region.
-I imagine it's quite different from Chicago.
-Yea, a bit!
-So now you live in Beer Sheva?
-I live in the Gimmel neighborhood, I really like it in Beer Sheva.
-And what are you studying?
-A Master's in Gerontology.
-First of all, tell us about the degree.
-We learn all the aspects of old age and aging, the needs of older adults, how best to serve them.
-And what will you do with the degree?
-I'm actually working as the South Region Coordinator for Project La'ad, a program clarifying the rights of Holocaust survivors.
-That fits great with your studies.
-Absolutely.
-And how does Beer Sheva look from Chicago? Do they see it at all?
-Not really--it looks like a desert. There's not a ton of awareness about Beer Sheva.
-It's hard for me to understand how someone would move from Chicago to the desert.
-My first three years after my aliyah I lived in Jerusalem and went to Hebrew Ulpan there. Jerusalem has an enormous Anglo community. It's different in Beer Sheva, but there are Anglos there too--great people. But if you want a truly Israeli experience, it's the place. I have Israeli roommates; I wanted to integrate, not to live in a bubble.
-Good luck! Thanks for joining us.

The show will also be aired this Friday March 30th at 11:00 Israel time/3 am Central time for anyone up late Thursday night.

With that I'm off to bed. Take care,
אריק/Eric

No comments:

Post a Comment