Tuesday, March 13, 2012

Less than a Marathon

I realized today that at its westernmost end, Beer Sheva is closer to Gaza than the distance I ran in the Chicago Marathon.

Whenever praying in a new locale, I always take time to get oriented and figure out which direction Jerusalem is to direct my prayers towards the holy city. Now when navigating Beer Sheva, I have to continuously remember which way Gaza is to know what side of the building to avoid in the event that I need to find shelter on my way.

The siren count is up to twelve since Friday night, with ten round trips to shelter due to a couple back-to-back attacks setting off the alarm. (As a matter of reference, I had "only" heard three sirens here over my two years in school and four-plus months as a full-time resident of the capital of the Negev).

But life is going on regardless--last night over dinner with friends, we overheard a remarkably loud and lively wedding at the hotel down the street. Dinner and laughs with friends were followed up by some goofy YouTube watching fun last night and tonight's satiric take on the security situation by the always hilarious ארץ נהדרת/Eretz Nehederet/Wonderful Country, somewhat of an Israeli SNL.

Off to bed with the news of a potential cease-fire in the works and a great Skype chat with Mom managing to cut through the tension a bit. Peace and love,
Eric

No comments:

Post a Comment