Saturday, March 10, 2012

Making Things Happen

I've been meaning to post literally for months! Here goes (I'll flesh the beginning of this post out soon).

On Sunday, I took my last exam for my Master's in Gerontology after two years of investing heavily in my studies. The last exam was the Legal Aspects of Aging. I handed it in, headed outside, and did a little jump for joy.

The Wednesday before was my exam for the Biology of Aging. I headed from there to the campus synagogue, where I led services and said Mourner's Kaddish for the last time of the eleven months proscribed to a mourning child, honoring my beloved Dad.

Work at Project La'ad is going great--I've met amazing people working and volunteering in this field of helping Holocaust survivors realize their rights, and I feel really blessed to have an opportunity to help provide this incredible population with dignity in their golden years.

I just got a nice surprise to see that cbssports.com provides a great, free feed, but sadly Michigan forgot to show up today. Which means I'm gonna hit the sack and hope to see news of quite a comeback in the morning.

So the unfortunate news over the weekend is that the terrorist organizations running out of Gaza decided to launch a volley of rockets all across the South after the Israel Air Force eliminated the murderous head of the Popular Resistance Committees yesterday afternoon.

Brilliant engineers and exceptional Israel Defense Forces staff have thank G-d made the Iron Dome defense system a success by intercepting over 90% of rockets launched toward populated areas. Still, class is cancelled at most schools in the region, and my university won't have class (or the annual Purim Carnival) tomorrow. No snow days in Beer Sheva, but for the second semester in a row, the first day of class will be cancelled for a "Rocket Day." Don't worry about me--I have a shelter in my building and the wheels to get down there (all my pool runs this semester have been enough to really get in shape--my Shabbat regreattably included five of those runs). I am more worried for my friends with children and babies, and the elderly residents of the South who struggle to get into shelter in time. At Shabbat lunch today, the several young children in attendance started to scream when they thought they heard the emergency siren, but it was just an ambulance siren. At one point, conversation at the "grown ups' table" became impossible as the little girls did a joint impression of the siren. In a more lighthearted moment, my hosts' daughter accidentally entered the wrong apartment in the middle of the night last night on the way back home from the reinforced area and proceeded to fall asleep on her new favorite neighbors' couch.

My dear Mom and birthday girl (yesterday) and others are asking what's the word here with regards to the Iranian nuclear threat. I'm doing my best to continue my business like a good Israeli. Obviously the Iranian-sponsored terror groups make that difficult by repeatedly setting off the sirens across the region. Since I don't have so many tools to make an impact, I play my role by praying wholeheartedly three times a day for peace over Israel. At times like this, I want to give all my holy Jewish brothers and sisters a big kiss. Tensions will certainly run high, as (at least tomorrow) parents will have to stay home from work since their kids will be off school, and each rocket of course sparks more anger. So I'll try to just offer my people a smile.

And as for my Arab fellow residents of Beer Sheva (while I still just have minimal interaction with some classmates), I won't discriminate with my smiles, and will think back to a cool moment on campus last week: two Muslim students in traditional head covering approached each other and said "חג שמח-Chag Sameach- Happy Holiday" honoring the upcoming Purim holiday. While there are many so-called "Only in Israel" moments that could also happen in Brooklyn or other uber-Jewish areas, two young Muslims saying Chag Sameach to each other could truly only happen here. As for my Purim, the highlight was a rowdy Karaoke party Wednesday night with the up-and-coming Beerot modern Orthodox community. I sang one of my favorite songs by legendary rock band Mashina, reflecting back on their semester-opening concert two years ago to welcome me to Beer Sheva. Here's הכוכבים דולקים על אש קטנה/Ha'Kochavim Dolkim Al Esh K'tana/The stars are running on a low light.

With that, I'll go to sleep now with a smile, despite both my region of Israel and my college hoops team currently getting pounded :) Much love from Beer Sheva,
אריק/Eric

No comments:

Post a Comment